Saturday, April 22, 2017

Continuing Education

So today I spent all day at an EMS conference to acquire 7 hours of continuing education credit for my EMT license. I am acting as an EMT on a volunteer basis, so there is no remuneration involved at all. To maintain national EMT certification requires 48 hours of CE, Continuing Education, every two years.

So why does a PhD in math or physics or any other of the major scientific disciplines not have an imposed CE requirement? Ami (my significant other) has a PhD in EE with no CE requirements, but her license to practice law in California with her JD requires 25 hours every two years (soon to be  raised to 35 hours).

I raise this question in good faith based on the nonsense I see virtually every day on the MH370 blogs.

BTW, I am not complaining. I learned a lot of very useful and highly appropriate stuff today.